Friday 7 June 2013

5 Questions with......Linda Connell

Can you give us a little bit of history behind what would become the legendary Recycology

I started collecting Vintage when I was around 10 years old.  I had my first shop in the mid-70's and then the travel bug bit.  From Kathmandu to London by double-decker bus : but that's a whole 'nother story!

I re-opened Recyology in 1990 at Neutral Bay and have been trading ever since, either as shop-fronts, pop-ups plus about 12 years at Orange Grove! (phew!)


What have been some of the highs of market life

Getting to know fellow stallholders & watching (some) of their businesses grow to become quite successful!  Noice!

Chatting with some very interesting customers about their lives and in turn them finding out about my successes.

Being recognised by the public (if I'm out and about elsewhere)!  I have to be on my "best" behaviour these days!!!  I was recognised twice in one week recently.....scarey


You recently had your debut at another market of ours.  Is there are noticeable difference between the demographic audience or is it merely a case of once a vintage lover, always a vintage lover

I like Double Bay Market for its casual but smart laid back feel (if that makes sense).  It feels free & new as it's still growing.  


The park is gorgeous, up-market clientele but having said that, I've encountered tourists, corporates and mums (the later don't buy much sadly).

I tend to focus on modern rather than vintage at the Double Bay Market but at Orange Grove I have very "fixed" regulars.


I've spent many years building a rapport with them and I often hear passers-by saying "this is my favourite stall" and I often see my stock being worn as well!  Such a great feeling!

Neither markets have hagglers.

I have also tried another location but for some reason didn't work out as well as Orange Grove (and now Double Bay) so it could come down to demographics, or my price point.  Baffling.

Where do you source most of your items from?

I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you....seriously!  I get asked this 3 or 4 times a market!


In 5 words, why should people buy vintage?

Unique, Eco-Friendly, Re-sellable, has "provenance" or.....(5 words) "the thrill of the chase"

**********
And with that we say THANK YOU to the lovely Linda and her Recycological way of thinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment