Thursday 13 March 2014

Let's Talk Pasties....

Dick Plumb's Cornish Pasty Co.  Can you give us a brief history of how pasties came to play such a pivotal role in your life and when the concept of having a market stall became and reality and why

Firstly, I LOVE CORNISH PASTIES!!!

My family moved from London to Cornwall when I was 2 years old, so I grew up surrounded by the Cornish Pasty culture.  The Cornish people are fiercely proud of their Celtic heritage and the pasty plays a vital role in defining their "independence" from England.

I wanted to start selling Cornish Pasties here in Australia since my very first visit back in 1998, but I had to be patient.  Here we are, 15 years later, and I've made my dream a reality.  I made the decision to leave my corporate job and follow my passion in July last year (2013) and I've never looked back!


We see you are a member of the Cornish Association of NSW, moreover for doing a "Proper Job"!  No mean feat!  What credentials does one need in order to be recognised by this most austere Association and how long did it take you to attain said "ober da"

I approached the Cornish Association of NSW as I wanted to add authenticity to my product.  If I was going to do it, I needed to do it right and there are very poor limitations of this wonderful food item available here - I need to distinguish myself from those immediately, not just relying on taste!

In Europe the Cornish Pasty enjoys geographical protection status which means unless it has the original ingredients of Skirt Steak, Potato, Swede and Onion AND is made in Cornwall then it cannot bear the name "Cornish" pasty.

The President and Secretary (Chris & Joy Dunkerley) came to my stall, took half a dozen away for their ladies to try and the results was a 'YES' to it being an authentic product: Proper Job (Ober Da) as the Cornish say.


They critiqued every aspect of it and although it was mentioned that there were a few aspects that could be improved upon, it did meet all the criteria needed and I was given a thumbs up from everyone on the panel.  It was my first attempt too!  They presented me with my certificate the following week.

Since starting at market, you have literally smashed it out the door which is sensational positive reinforcement for you.  How did you first find us and what is the greatest number of pasties you have sold at one market.

I have always known of Orange Grove Market and indeed the other markets run by OFM and had been in contact with them several months prior to my starting.  Timing is everything I guess, so I had to be patient and work on my product before presenting it to such a cultured food audience.


The most I have every sold at one market to date is 150!

We are guessing there is a secret recipe for these beauties and your dedicated fans attest to their above and beyond taste sensation.  What is it about market life that keeps you grounded.

There really isn't any secret to the humble Cornish Pasty - it just takes the correct ingredients and a whole lot of love to make a delicious one!


I love market life.  It really has a community feel and I and my product have been welcomed with open arms.  I already have a dedicated following of repeat customers from the very young to the very experienced and I cannot wait to see what the future holds for my fledgling company.

How would you sum up the world of Dick Plumb's Cornish Pasty Co. in 5 words

I'll give you just 3 words: 

Heritage
Authenticity
Taste

**********

So if you haven't already, we strongly urge you to wrap your laughing gear around one of these heavenly creatures and when you do....we reckon you might just become enslaved to the world of Dick Plumb's Cornish Pasty!











No comments:

Post a Comment